2016 Cowlitz County Republican Party Platform
The proper role of government is to protect life, liberty, and property of its citizens. To that end we support efforts to:
- Return the administration of marriage back to the church by repealing laws that give government control or incentives regarding marriage.
- Repeal all laws and regulations that infringe on the individual’s right to keep and bear arms.
- Pass legislation that ends public funding of abortion.
- Repeal federal civil asset forfeiture laws that allow for the seizure of an individual’s property without the due process of law.
We believe the most accountable government is the government closest to the people. To that end we support efforts to:
- Advance legislation that nullifies unconstitutional federal laws and affirms state and local control over powers not granted to the federal government by the US Constitution.
- Repeal the Growth Management Act and restore local protection of property rights.
- Keep our local police responsible to the local citizens by rejecting federal control over police.
We believe that a free market system is the best available vehicle to promote prosperity for all individuals and society as a whole. Manipulation of money and the regulation of commerce are government tools that permit the usurpation of individual rights. To that end we support efforts to:
- Remove all restrictions on the voluntary and honest exchange of value in a free market.
- Audit the Federal Reserve to institute transparency and accountability to Congress and the American people.
- Return to a sound money system as required by the U. S. Constitution.
Taxation and Budgets
We believe that governments at all levels should be supported only with the taxes necessary to accomplish their constitutional duties. To that end we support efforts to:
- Eliminate all unnecessary and unconstitutional agencies, programs and spending.
- Replace the current progressive income tax system with a “Flat” or “Fair” Tax system.
- Pass legislation that requires government at all levels to return to a balanced budget, incur no new debt, and pay off existing debt.
We believe government intervention creates undesired consequences that aggravate the problem of affordable, accessible healthcare. To that end we support efforts to:
- Repeal the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act commonly known as Obamacare.
- Enact legislation to allow healthcare policies to be sold across state lines to promote competition in the healthcare industry.
- Repeal the HMO Act and all other government mandates regarding healthcare.
We believe that governments should be limited and held to the highest moral standards functioning within their proper boundaries. To that end we support efforts to:
- Repeal all Executive orders, regulations and actions that usurp the authority of Congress, or alter the effect of law.
- Transition to private financial alternatives while fulfilling existing obligations, rather than maintaining or expanding compulsory government retirement, disability, and health programs.
- Phase out any government subsidies and incentives that support or favor any business or special interest.
National Sovereignty and Defense
We believe strongly in preserving the principles of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness that are the foundation of this nation. To that end we support efforts to:
- Secure the borders of the United States and immediately enforce existing immigration laws.
- Restrict the exercise of executive War Powers in the absence of a Declaration of War by Congress, except in the face of an immediate and direct threat to the United States.
- Reject any treaty or international agreement that puts American troops under the control or authority of any other executive or administrative power.
We believe control of education should be in the hands of parents, local and state government. To that end we support efforts to:
- Repeal all federally mandated programs such as Common Core, No Child Left Behind and Every Student Succeeds Act.
- Eliminate the federal Department of Education.
- End federal subsidies of colleges and universities
Adopted March 12, 2016 at the County Convention, Longview, WA